Monday 26 January 2015

Pole Dancing


So, two years ago, heck, even a year ago there is no way I would have agreed to take a Pole Dancing class.  Pft! I mean, it’s the sort of activity that requires self-confidence and physical strength.  Two things I was severely lacking.  Fast forward a couple of years, drop a few kilos, gain some self love and confidence, and I’m there, swinging around on a brass pole in a skimpy sequined outfit… (totally convinced I was going to somehow concuss myself) laughing my ass off!  Only for my good mate Em’s Hen’s day/night.  Seriously, only for you Em!  Clearly I love you to bits!!

                                         What I thought appropriate Pole Dancing attire was...

Nervous, anxious, scared… basically shitting myself, I rocked up not knowing anyone either.  A glass of champagne helped to calm my nerves and before I knew it I was told to go and “dress up” in the “costume room”.  Oh dear God, what had I got myself into?!  Everything was pretty, well, “blingy”.  I ended up in a velvet, sequined bodice with tassels and a sequined “tutu” (no it didn’t cover anything) over my bike shorts thanks!  Needless to say, I was SUPER self-conscious… But I told myself I COULD, that I WOULD do it and that I WOULD have fun.  So I did.

I had plenty of trouble coordinating my lefts, rights, spins, 6 O’clock’s, 12 O’clock’s, kicks etc etc but I was laughing.  I was actually doing it and having fun.  I was falling smack to the floor and getting friction burns, but I was doing it!  I eventually learned to spin forwards and backwards and (somewhat) gracefully, slide down the pole and land in a (kind of) graceful position.

                                         What appropriate Pole Dancing attire actually is...

So thanks to a slightly twisted ankle, countless bruises and multiple blisters, I learned that I’m still ridiculously uncoordinated.  Somehow, these minor misfortunes aside, pole dancing made me think about how far I’ve come and how much I have achieved physically and mentally.  I know that whatever I tell myself I can do, I will make it happened.  I told myself I’d have a blast and I did.  Most importantly, to anyone out there who needs a reminder, a push, it’s never too late to turn your life around.  You’ve got to make it happen for yourself, but seriously, the results (doing things you never even dreamed of doing) are so worth every tear, every work out, nutritious meal, and simply every ounce of hard work!

Liz Xox

No comments:

Post a Comment